Saturday, July 21, 2012

On Best Wishes Season 2 (so far)

As far as I'm concerned, I prefer BW Season 1.

The things I liked the most about BW1 were the improved animation, the fresh start, and above all, Cilan and Iris. I really, really liked the two of them being Ash's new travelling partners(No offense, but I really am not Dawn and Piplup's largest fan, and Brock has been OutOfFocus for years). Cilan is a sophisticated sommelier Ace, while Iris is knowledgable in medicines, dragon-types, and fills the role of Genki Action Girl. Incidentally, both're also good battlers in their own right(know anyone else who tried taking on a tornadus with a pansage?).

But what makes them so great? I don't know. Maybe it's that I'm a huge Wishfulshipper. Maybe I just really like Cilan and his adorable Yanappu. Maybe it's because I prefer battles to contests and sparkling Cilan to sparkling Dawn. At any rate, I really enjoyed the new trio travelling through the Western Unova.

But of course, they had to start going around to EAST Unova. Where Cynthia and Dawn await. Cynthia? Meh. I don't really mind. I never was really in sync with GSC or DPPt, so I don't really know much about the background of the games or anything, since I've played FRLG, RSE, and BW more. But I do know Cynthia is badass, and I respect her for that. What I find troubling is Dawn, who has taken up Cilan and Iris' Main Character focus by simply being there. With Dawn around, Ash's attention has totally been rerouted towards her, and Cilan and Iris've been degraded to "movable background" (If that's not enough Pearlshipping for you, I don't know what is). Iris is just makign faces right when Dawn is saying stuff, and Cilan just stands in the background and smiles. And cooks. Maybe they're trying to mirror his Game Persona, but it's just not the same.

Also, Meloetta. Like, whut? I can't even get it in the game, and I know barely nothing about it, other than the fact that it can use Relic Song. What on earth is it doing there, other than flying around randomly and causing Oshawott and Piplup to get into fights every five seconds? That's another thing, by the way. That Piplup. No matter how hard I try, I still can't bring myself to like it. Oshawott has my vote in this psychotic love triangle.

I'm sorry, Dawn, but I still prefer Iris as a female character over you. Not because she's a gym leader, not because she's the Champion, not because she's my favourite ship with Cilan, but simply because. You've had plenty of time with Ash in DP, and I've seen how long that arc is. Please let my two favourite characters be something else other than your stepping stones.

Of course, I'm not totally disapproving of it so far. With Dawn back, Pearlshipping has skyrocketed, which has paved the way for Wishfulshipping, as soon as I can spot it. BW Season 2 Episode 4 has thrown us a few heavy Wishfulshipping hints, and this hilarious image. The Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup shall bring us more rants reviews. (I just realised Cilan is in the ACTUAL World Tournamet, where he is pretty badass. Iris should've been too.)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment